Nana and Papa flew down to Las Vegas to spend our extended weekend with us. We left on Thursday morning to head to a condo in Flagstaff, AZ. Flagstaff sits at an elevation of around 7,000 ft., so this was an escape from the heat as well as an escape from day to day living.The first day we were there, we took an historic train ride to the Grand Canyon (South Rim). Will and Taylor thoroughly enjoyed this chance to ride on a train. Though most of us had visited the Grand Canyon from other vantage points, none of us had seen it from the South Rim which happens to be the most visited part of the Park. We spent the 3 hours the train gave us to explore, to hike along the rim, and eat lunch at the Bright Angel Lodge. We also got the kids hats and spent a lot of time planning out in our minds and in our conversation a future trip in which we will hike from the North to the South Rim. Someday. That evening we ate dinner back at the condo and took the kids for an evening swim. Always one of their favorite parts of any trip!



The second day, we went South. There is SO much to do between and around Flagstaff and Sedona that we may have to make another trip to get it all in. Some of the things we ended up doing: the drive through Oak Creek Canyon (gorgeous and probably a lot of great hiking to be done though we didn't get a chance), Montezuma's Castle and Well (Indian ruins from around 1100 AD), grocery shop in Sedona (needed some lunch supplies--such a beautiful area by the way but very hot like LV so we won't go there again to explore more unless its spring or fall), 4x4 drive down Schnebly Hill Road (SPECTACULAR scenery!!), and Slide Rock State Park (the best swim hole with natural water slides--don't try and go on a Saturday like we did). We've had some great fun this past month of July and now we need to get serious about getting settled into our house. That is what I hope will happen during this month of August. No plans--no excuses. Hopefully we will have our common areas decorated and furnished (I'm no good at this-decisions) downstairs and have our office cleaned and organized by the end of this month. Now that its in writing, I'm more likely to accomplish these goals especially since you will all hold me accountable!





7 comments:
I want to go to that slide rock place! That sounds like fun
That rock slide looks like a lot of fun. You have had a lot of fun this summer, you are quite the hikers.
That water place looks like fun. We get to go with you guys next time!
What a fun trip! I'm am a little jealous about the pending Grand Canyon adventures....I have always wanted to go back. North to South is extremely doable and amazing! We took four days and went 1/2 way down, then to the bottom, then 1/2 way out, and out on the 4th morning. We had plenty of time to take side trips and just gawk at the beauty. I do want to go back!
You mentioned that it would be so fun if we still lived in Henderson and I totally agree. It seems so long ago that we were there...wow. I do however have a couple recommendations for eating out -- for the most amazing sub sandwiches, go to Capriotti's down on Sunset Road at Annie Oakley, my faves are the capastrami, the bobbie, or the slaw-be-joe - oh man, my mouth is watering. For really good mexican, it must be Macayo's on West Sahara and great breakfast at the Original Pancake house (on Paseo Verde Drive). Man I must be hungry or something! ;]
Look like a blast! I absolutely LOVE Sedona. Matt's company used to own a villa there and it is still my most favorite place to visit. I love the drive through Flagstaff as well; so many trees and green (a different world compared to where we would come from!). You are brave to take your kids to the Canyon. When Matt and I went we decided we wouldn't take the kids until they were old enough to understand that if you stand too close to that edge you will DIE! I couldn't believe they didn't have a better fence and a fence at all along the visitor's center. Maybe I'm just a woory wart, but it totally freaked me out to think of my kids wondering around the edge without a fence.
Good for you guys to be giving your kids great memories!
It seems like they had a knee height wall at a lot of the points we approached but we took hold of their hands pretty tight anyway and having Nana and Papa along helped as well. We didn't hesitate to tell them to that if they got to close to the edge they would fall off and die. Sometimes you got to be a little blunt.
Looks like so much fun. I soooo want to go to the water part!
Post a Comment