We've been in Henderson now for 10 weeks! I think Taylor is starting to get bored of this new place and keeps asking when we will move back to Utah. She misses her friends (her cousins) and I'm a little worried. Most of the kids started back to school today but her track (only choice if I wanted the morning session) doesn't begin until September 15th. I hope she can meet friends then and that meanwhile, I can be a little more proactive about arranging playdates with other kids her age. Fortunately, I received a visiting teaching assignment and visiting teachers in the past couple of weeks and this has given me more resources in getting to know more people and finding out more information about the area (ie: what doctors do you recommend, where do you take your daughter to dance, etc.) I really hope I can start providing Taylor with more opportunities to make friends besides church. Thank goodness though for Church as I don't know how I would meet people otherwise. I really want to extend myself to some of my surrounding and immediate neighbors because its really important to me to KNOW my neighbors but the hot weather keeps us all inside and I'm seriously afraid of walking across the street to knock on someones door to invite their family over for dinner. I'm afraid if they said "no" that I might choke up and have to run home to cry! :) Unless I think people might need me, I'm very shy in approaching them. Any advice from those of you that have moved away from family?
We have continued to make some progress around the house including the organizing and cleaning of the office. That's a big relief! We have some new furniture for our family room downstairs but I need some help accessorizing including a room size rug to go on the tile. I sure don't want to have to spend over $200 for that. Any recommendations?
Eric got me a Wii Fit for our anniversary (gave it to me early). I've been looking for one of these forever and he finally came across some in stock when he went to Fry's Electronics for some computer parts. It is a lot of fun and is helping me be more motivated about exercising which is important since we have a big hike coming up on our actual anniversary day. I am really looking forward to our adventure down Orderville Canyon. Every year that I'm not pregnant, I select a big hike to do without the kids. In the past it has been an overnighter but this one is just a day hike. It will be a great way for Eric and I to celebrate our 7 years together. Read more about it on Joe Braun's amazing pictures of Orderville Canyon.
8 comments:
I'm sure Taylor will be very happy once she starts school and makes friends...as for the rug...We got our HUGE rug for our living room at Lowe's. It was a finished piece of carpet for $60 and I LOVE it! I'm sure it is the size if not bigger than what you are looking for...I would definitely try Lowe's or home depot!
My mom went to a regular carpet store, chose a remnant and made two rugs out of it. (The store will finish the edges for you for a small price.) Rugs can be so expensive and can get so dirty; I would try a large piece of carpet. We had many neighbors with the same issues because they all have tile everywhere. Not so nice on little knees.:) Good luck.
With the getting to know your neighbor thing - it takes time. I tend to put myself out there, sometimes regretting it, but it was the only way I could make my life-long friends. You will find family in your ward, or neighborhood because you will need them to be. I prayed for friends and Heavenly Father gave me them when I needed them most. I just had to ask. I will pray for you to find some friends that will ease your transition. :)
Cyd - definitely check out the Henderson Parks and Recreation department - there are rec centers all over Green Valley and Henderson, and they are phenomenal! [Don't forget I used to work for them....LOL] They offer lots of classes for children and adults as well.
Do you have and IKEA in Las Vegas? They always have good deals on rugs, but I don't know if there is on there yet.
A good idea for meeting your neighbors, make some cookies with the kids and go deliver them in the evenings with the family -- you never know, there could be members of your ward on your street! I have always found the church to be the best way to meet new people both here in the states and abroad! :)
Cyd, you make me laugh (asking the neighbors to dinner) I just had a visual of you running home crying and couldn't help laughing. Am I mean? LOL
I totally want to try you Wii Fit. Let me know if it keeps you motivated as this is the key, right?
I think it will be a lot easier to meet people once it cools down.
Taylor needs kindergarten and that will happen soon.
It is kind of funny when you think about meeting your new neighbors. I remember when I moved in here really wishing that at least one of my neighbors would have come over and said "hi", and yet when someone new moves in I also get nervous to go over to their house. If you take them cookies or something , and introduce yourself, you will probably realize they are as excited to meet you as you are to meet them.
Thanks guys for your great suggestions and encouragement! I'll probably laugh at myself (even more than I do today) when I look back on this transition several months from now.
Orderville canyon is one of my favorite short hikes ... have fun!
Post a Comment