
Ever since we got our new Bosch mixer for Christmas, I have had fun trying out different bread recipes and baking in general. I feel more confident in purchasing wheat for our food storage because I know now that I will actually use it! Since moving to Las Vegas, I haven't had my favorite Grandma Sycamore bread that I would buy at Costco. I have seen it on some grocery store shelves but for a very premium price! Now I have better tasting and better for my family bread made with ingredients from my food storage and it has been very rewarding. Lest anyone think I have become one of those mom's from a 50s sitcom with my retro apron (thanks Dawn!) and warm loaf of bread, the rest of my house has gone to pot! After all, I can't seem to focus on cleaning, baking, the raising of perfect children, and the grooming of myself all at once. Somewhat unfortunate, but for the last couple of months, I've enjoyed baking bread!
8 comments:
Very cool. I got a Bosch Last year (mine is red) and love it too. Making cookies and bread is a breeze with it!! I need to make bread more often, but I can't eat it all myself so I either need to find some people to give it too, (yea that shouldn't be hard) or get my space cleared for the deep freezer I want to get so I can store more than fits in the small freezer in my refrigerator.
What recipe do you use? Do you have a wheat grinder? I don't yet, but my parents do, so I can have my dad grind me some wheat anytime I need some.
I have a K-Tech wheat grinder. This seemed essential if I was going to store wheat. I have tried many different bread recipes so far including ones that use apple sauce instead of shortening and honey instead of sugar. I think my favorite one (the bread pictured) is the 100% whole wheat from the Lion House cookbook. It used shortening but used molasses for the sweetner. It had really good flavor. I used half whole wheat flour in the cookies I made the other day and you couldn't even tell.
Way cool, when am I going to come visit?
There's nothing better than home made bread! You'll have to teach me how because many years ago I tried making bread and it didn't turn out so well. I'm going to order my grinder today
Wendy, yes--when are you going to come visit? I'm waiting... :)
Quinne-come on over!
I was impressed with your bread especially when I found out it was almost 100% whole wheat! It was so good and I'm not usually a fan. I guess I'll have to start making my own.
What a cute picture!!!
Post a Comment